http://forum.photonlight.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Quick LRI Proton Pro Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum
Crizzly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A true statement. Reply with quote

Mr.X wrote:
Bright white and a night vision solution are the most practical choices, short of doubling the electronics. Wink

Admittedly, I'd prefer sticking with the same interface, but switch the white to the 'ramp up' choice, and the red to 'ramp down' [...then trade out the red with a UV for currency/gem checking. Option two for me would be a crappy white light as a secondary LED - when you just need to check the wire color you're cutting ala hollywood-movie-du-jour]. This would allow me to not blind myself by turning on the white to full with my hand over it and ramping down until it's the useable-for-that-task level. I guess I'm spoiled in really dark places where ramping up a freedom's white light to the point where you are just about to wince and stopping is the perfect solution.

Smile Cheers on the newest light, but I'd still like to see some flexability in setup like we had with the fusion's [couple beam color choices + specialty options]
bryan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is a UV model in the works. Not UV as the secondary beam though. There's some really impressive high-powered UV emitters available. Depending on demand, other options may follow eventually as well. I'm lobbying for IR.

Bryan Avery
PhotonLight.com
Mr.X

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: UV? COOL! Reply with quote

Although it could end up being too pricey for my pocketbook, I would absolutely LOVE to see a UV solution in the Pro.

Or in the Rex for that matter. To have it in the Rex might be of even greater use, as it would be all flood and no throw. I would think that most UV viewing would likely be up close rather than across the room. Also, the hot spot in the center of the Pro might be disagreeable when trying to see the glow from a fluorescent mineral, poster or what have you. OTOH, the Pro might Pro-vide more brightness.

...but then the real best would be to have it BOTH!

cheers
Mr.X

P.S. Not to bring the discussion down... but there could be many safety issues involved with putting a very strong UV source in public hands. Sorry, I used to have a job at a local hospital, where part of my duty was involved with safety.
Crizzly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: UV? COOL! Reply with quote

Mr.X wrote:
To have it in the Rex might be of even greater use, as it would be all flood and no throw. I would think that most UV viewing would likely be up close rather than across the room. Also, the hot spot in the center of the Pro might be disagreeable when trying to see the glow from a fluorescent mineral, poster or what have you.

I concur that wider is better for the UV, but the glass LED's that are in the freedom and fusions that I have are rather narrow throw to begin with. (at 12in, the 6 LEDs cast a 2in circle)

Quote:
P.S. Not to bring the discussion down... but there could be many safety issues involved with putting a very strong UV source in public hands. Sorry, I used to have a job at a local hospital, where part of my duty was involved with safety.

Granted, but then that's why they ship them with the warning sticker. Also, the UV models tend to be a 'special order' item with a premium price, thus not everyone will wind up with one without knowing dang well what they are getting. Also, other companies have incredibly strong UV LED lights out there (typically for industrial glue curing, etc), admittedly (thankfully) LRI isn't even in the same ballpark of those - even with a dozen of their LEDs. Smile Of course, the cost on those are incredible as the illumination....... [search this forum for more discussion of at least one company's UV item.. iirc, for $1k]

Now, I gotta say... the purple LEDs (standard black light vs the actual UV ones) are pretty dang useful... to that end, I have at least one use for a ReX with all purple's in it (and know numerous other folks who would like it for the same purpose, et al). That being said, I'd like to see this 'brighter at same power' tech the white LED's have been utilizing applied to purple (and eventually all colors of course).
Crizzly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this_is_nascar wrote:
I've added runtime data to my 1st post.

Say, any chance you can throw up a comparison (bright v time) of a ReX in your Edit#4 chart? I suspect one would have to compare "1st charge" and say, "10th charge" to ensure any sort of longevity burn in that may or may not be present for the lithium battery....

Thanks for the great data/pics/charts!
007Runner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my Proton Pro and I noticed that when you turn it off a few seconds later the red led flashes. Is this normal? Question

After about 20 min the unit gets noticeable warm, I think this is do to the chemical reaction of the battery. In full brightness mode it is pretty demanding of the battery.

The red led is not centered in the reflector cutout. Is this just mine or are all of the red LEDs in the Proton Pro off center? Question
Mr.X

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Normal? Reply with quote

Yes 007, all of the things you have mentioned are normal. The red light flashes once just after turn-off. This is part of the program that warns of a low battery. With no leap of faith, the unit certainly experiences a low battery situation when it is turned off. (ha ha) Seriously though, when the battery does get low, the red LED will turn on, indicating that weakness. However the red led only has a chance to blink once, because you just removed it's power source by turning the Pro off.

The warmth comes from both the high powered White LED and from the battery as well. Perhaps a nice advantage when it is cold outside Wink

cheers
Mr.X
007Runner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have to admit overall I am impressed by this flashlight. I am not a flashlight geek (flashoholic) but I do appreciate technology.

When I discovered how good the throw was and the fact that it puts out more light then my 2 D cell mag lite. That heavy large dinosaur promptly was tossed in the trash can. I was embarrassed to still own something so old fashioned.

I own the fusion, but was never impressed with the weak flood beam and the fact that it really did not put out much light. It does well on close up work, and is really convenient for setting up the generator for a power outage. It is fairly large old fashioned and bulky but is not a bad light, just needs a update like the Proton Pro.

Things I would like to see improved or changed on the Proton Pro:

the red LED is not centered in the cutout of the reflector. (guess they are all like that) could be a quality control china issue.

I would like to see the reflector treated to make it harder less prone to scratches.

Threads on the tail cap slightly longer and a positive click or indent to let you know proper tightness has been achieved.

The rubber on the switch edges feel like they can easily get snagged, and could be a future failure.

The negative contact on the battery tail cap improved to be more durable and hold the battery tighter. I seems to hold well, just not as tightly as I would like.

The amount of light out put and throw from the Proton Pro is what got me up early to play with a new toy. I would like to see the throw improved a bit (focused better, not as good as the mag lite but close)

What I would really like to see: Is this unit in a limited production titanium shell, Sapphire crystal lens, thicker plated gold contacts, heavy duty 0 rings, and the other improvements I suggested. Yes I know sure fire makes a light to fit the bill but the contacts are not gold plated, plus out of curiosity I researched to see if the LRI customer service is really as good as the flashlight geeks say it is, and to my surprise it is even better. Sure Fire did have some complaints on customer service.

This is a flashlight that even a non flashlight geek (flashoholic) can enjoy. I will be purchasing some more to give as gifts.
Mr.X

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I discovered how good the throw was and the fact that it puts out more light then my 2 D cell mag lite. That heavy large dinosaur promptly was tossed in the trash can. I was embarrassed to still own something so old fashioned.

Wait, don't throw out that old Maglight. As was mentioned earlier, the "Pro" was not meant to replace a regular flashlight except in certain instances. It wasn't meant to go all night on a camping trip and continue to work throughout the hike. It is more of a "Gee, I need a good and bright light to look under the car for my keys, during this big storm." or "My lights have gone out and I need to get outside to start my generator" or some other emergency where a quick very bright light would be most useful. Something like that. And it does this extremely well. Keep your Maglight. It has it's purposes as well. They are two very different flashlights with very different uses. I have a three cell Maglight with a 1 watt led solution in it and you can be sure that if I go out at night (at length), I will have both the Maglight and for certain, the Proton Pro with me at all times.

Quote:
the red LED is not centered in the cutout of the reflector

Wait... maybe I misunderstood you on your earlier post. I thought you meant "centered" as in the very center of the reflector as the white LED is. Now I think you mean "centered" as in the middle of the little cutout that is meant for the red LED alone. If that is your meaning, then I think you are being a bit too critical. If it isn't precisely centered in that little hole, it is most likely a small bit of drift that must be expected when tightening the bezel on the front of the Proton. I mean, the misalignment couldn't be more than about a quarter of a millimeter at the most and certainly wouldn't affect the beam.

Quote:
I would like to see the reflector treated to make it harder less prone to scratches.

How in the world are you getting any scratches on the reflector?? It is covered by a lens. Unless you have been taking it apart, which certainly would not be recommended.

Quote:
I would like to see the throw improved a bit (focused better, not as good as the mag lite but close)

Wait again... didn't you just say how good the throw was? I think the throw is as good as it can be. If you want it(what, smaller?), it then won't be able to fully light up the object your looking for, perhaps. As far as comparing it to the Maglight(which you just threw out) there is no comparison. The Maglight has so many beam aberrations that it distorts your viewing pleasure. The Pro has a completely smooth beam that allows one complete viewing ability in the best way.

Quote:
What I would really like to see: Is this unit in a limited production titanium shell, Sapphire crystal lens, thicker plated gold contacts, heavy duty 0 rings, and the other improvements I suggested.

OK... but then it might cost $180 or more, instead of $70.
Sure it can be changed, but fewer of us could afford to buy it then, I guess. Certainly I wouldn't be able to buy it. I would wonder if L.R.I. would even be able to sell enough to make a clearing above the production costs.

cheers
Mr.X
007Runner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.X wrote:
Quote:

Wait, don't throw out that old Mag light. As was mentioned earlier, the "Pro" was not meant to replace a regular flashlight except in certain instances. It wasn't meant to go all night on a camping trip and continue to work throughout the hike. It is more of a "Gee, I need a good and bright light to look under the car for my keys, during this big storm." or "My lights have gone out and I need to get outside to start my generator" or some other emergency where a quick very bright light would be most useful. Something like that. And it does this extremely well. Keep your Mag light. It has it's purposes as well. They are two very different flashlights with very different uses. I have a three cell Mag light with a 1 watt led solution in it and you can be sure that if I go out at night (at length), I will have both the Mag light and for certain, the Proton Pro with me at all times.

Quote:
the red LED is not centered in the cutout of the reflector

Wait... maybe I misunderstood you on your earlier post. I thought you meant "centered" as in the very center of the reflector as the white LED is. Now I think you mean "centered" as in the middle of the little cutout that is meant for the red LED alone. If that is your meaning, then I think you are being a bit too critical. If it isn't precisely centered in that little hole, it is most likely a small bit of drift that must be expected when tightening the bezel on the front of the Proton. I mean, the misalignment couldn't be more than about a quarter of a millimeter at the most and certainly wouldn't affect the beam.

Quote:

How in the world are you getting any scratches on the reflector?? It is covered by a lens. Unless you have been taking it apart, which certainly would not be recommended.

Quote:
I would like to see the throw improved a bit (focused better, not as good as the mag lite but close)

Wait again... didn't you just say how good the throw was? I think the throw is as good as it can be. If you want it(what, smaller?), it then won't be able to fully light up the object your looking for, perhaps. As far as comparing it to the Mag light(which you just threw out) there is no comparison. The Mag light has so many beam aberrations that it distorts your viewing pleasure. The Pro has a completely smooth beam that allows one complete viewing ability in the best way.

Quote:
What I would really like to see: Is this unit in a limited production titanium shell, Sapphire crystal lens, thicker plated gold contacts, heavy duty 0 rings, and the other improvements I suggested.

OK... but then it might cost $180 or more, instead of $70.
Sure it can be changed, but fewer of us could afford to buy it then, I guess. Certainly I wouldn't be able to buy it. I would wonder if L.R.I. would even be able to sell enough to make a clearing above the production costs.

cheers
Mr.X

The Proton Pro is a strong light good for a short time maybe 90 min at full intensity I am aware of that. The Fusion is good for about 12 hours full intensity with less light output, so that is a good choice for an extended time. The mag lite to me is just so old fashioned and obsolete I could not keep it.

My mistake, I meant to say the lens getting improved scratch protection not the reflector. I also wanted to see the hot spot tightened up a bit to improve the throw.

I do feel centering the red LED (IN THE CUT OUT) is not unreasonable, just a matter of simple quality control that china is not capable of. I bet Japan could do it but the cost may go up $10 well worth it in my opinion.

Yes I am aware the cost of that limited edition light I described could cost $180 or more. I truly appreciate quality construction and the most current technology. Even the best products are crap if the customer service backing it is not very good. Take surefire for example, they make a light I would like the U2 ultra. No gold plated contacts, and lots of pissed people that think their customer service sucks. I rather purchase an expensive flashlight here where I know if I have a problem getting it resolved will not lead to aggravation.

If you flashlight geeks only purchased what you really needed and not every single new thing that becomes available (flashoholic). You would probably have so much money left over that $180 would really not be so out of reach. I rather have maybe two expensive high quality lights, then lots of lesser quality items .
Mr.X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do feel centering the red LED (IN THE CUT OUT) is not unreasonable, just a matter of simple quality control that china is not capable of. I bet Japan could do it but the cost may go up $10 well worth it in my opinion.

This is SO ridiculous that I will only afford it one more try. I can not believe you have put so much importance on such a picky-unish complaint. Whether the red light is one quarter of a millimeter one way or another shouldn't even have enough importance to bring up in the first place. Quality control doesn't even enter into it. You are talking about two different parts that come together so closely that there isn't ANY room for improvement. No matter who manufactured it. Moving the relationship between the cutout and the red led would make NO difference in operation, the beam quality, or the beam alignment.

There is a truth in manufacturing as well as many other phases of industry. It is when you reach a point of diminishing returns. Which means no matter how much money you pour into an improvement (or adjustment) no further improvements are possible. They could have put thousands of dollars more into making the tolerances so close that the red led would squeak into place. IT WOULD NOT MAKE IT ANY BETTER! It is like beating a dead horse. It won't get you anywhere. Can't you see that?

I have reached my point of diminishing returns on this ridiculous point. No sense in waisting another keystroke on it.

Mr.X
Crizzly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

007Runner wrote:

Simple solution for you: unscrew the lens cover. rotate the reflector to center the red LED in the cutout any way you wish. glue reflector down in position that means so much to you. screw lens cover back on.

Of course, ever since you joined this forum, you've bad mouthed LRI's products, and their use of "super cheap slave labor...in china". You've clearly got an agenda, and noone here understands your assumptions or why you see some sort of relevance. "If it was made in japan by highskilled workers" you often say... clearly you have some Japan-vs-China complex... look at the long standing responses and tell me what it's gotten you on this forum? Are you being paid for your sedition? Did your family loose out on one too many contracts and that's why you're so pissed? It just doesn't make any sense.. and clearly the concept of "there is a time and place for everything" is well and truly lost on you.

So, once again: please, if you want some advice with your lights, ask us. If you wish to complain to the company about it's products and/or outsourcing labor practices, go to the friggin source and do so. I submit the link for you *again* [well, it's changed since the last time I gave it to you, but here's the newest contact page]:
http://laughingrabbitinc.com/contactus.htm

One last suggestion - when you're given points to consider, don't resort to the personal attacks as you're apt to do. It's rude, and frankly, you don't know us or our finances well enough to make the assertions you have repeatedly on this forum.
Mr.X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put, Sir.

cheers
Mr.X
007Runner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American car companies are not doing very well. Simple reason, they produce inferior products. Things don't fit together properly, and they don't care. That is exactly what your comment reminded me of.
Proper length, fine taper cut of threads, and proper torque applied things fit properly. You really don't care if the red LED is in the center of the cut out. True the quality of light being transmitted will be negligible.
Some people appreciate the fine points: accuracy, precision, fit and finish of a product. This is why I drive a Lexus, and your happy with a Chevy, Ford, or Chrysler product. Sloppiness does not matter to you.
Maybe you don't follow the news, china is known for not following specifications, or following a manufactures choice of materials. Lead in children's toys ring a bell? They never have produced products with high accuracy standards. Just cheap and get the job done. Wanting to pay a little more money to have excellent fit and finish is just me looking for a quality product that reflects skill and pride of manufacture. I have no grudge against china as you suggest. I only stated what the rest of the world already knows.

I really did not try to insult you, and could care less regarding your financial standing. Some people are happy with good enough, I just rather pay more for precision accuracy. I take pride in what I do, and appreciate a product that reflects high standards.

The Proton Pro is fine the way it is. I just would not mind paying more to see a limited edition improvement of the product. For this you get all bent out of shape.
bryan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

007, we don't have a policy of editing or filtering posts on this forum (other than the spam of course) but I would like to request that you please try to keep things civil. Despite your intentions, it seems that your posts often come across with a hostile tone. Your opinions, observations, suggestions, etc. are all very welcome, but please refrain from the personal attacks/insults. I'm not just referring to this post here, but your entire history of activity on this forum.

Bryan Avery
PhotonLight.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5