http://forum.photonlight.com

 


 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Quick LRI Proton Pro Review


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum
Author Message
this_is_nascar



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been "into" flashlights for several years and I have no problem saying that, in my opinion, the Proton Pro is the hands-down 2007 Light of the Year. It's that damn good. Yes, if up to me, I'd make some improvements, but if you look at price vs. quality vs. interface vs. beam vs. the light as an entire whole, the Pro wins hands down, without question. In my years of flashlight collecting, trading, etc, I've spent tens of thousands of dollars having lights pass through my hands. Many I've kept, many I've sold, many I've sold and purchased back again. For what you pay, considering what you get, the Proton Pro is awesome.
_________________
Race to the Championship
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Perfectionist



Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang ! What's with all the hate dudes !! Laughing

Actually I gotta side with 007 ..... the dude is simply making constructive criticism ..... and in reply y'all are kicking him in the nuts for not saying the Proton is perfect !! Rolling Eyes

Excuses can always be made for imperfection and there will always be people who will happily accept whatever is given without questioning if it could be better ...... Razz

Personally I think criticism is a good thing ..... Idea

Imagine a beautiful woman ..... who has recently put on a lot of weight ..... naturally I would be the first to complain about her losing her figure, because I have the hots for her ! Mr. Green

If an ugly woman decided to become a fat slob ..... I wouldn't give a damn ..... Confused

The moral of the story being - people will criticise the things they love because they want it to be the best it can be ! Shocked

It's disappointing that y'all seem quite happy that LRI is NOT fulfilling the full potential of the Proton ..... especially since the shambles and unbelievable delay of the first launch ..... I want the Pro to be the best light ever made, in the history of humanity ..... which I know it can be ..... Wink

So dudes at LRI, stop being pussies and make a kick ass light even more kick ass !! Very Happy

Improve the Proton Pro by increasing the quality of it's manufacture and giving it 3 beam colours (White + IR + UV) while at the same time reducing the price !! Cool Very Happy

Sweet !! Embarassed
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
007Runner



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectionist wrote:
Dang ! What's with all the hate dudes !! Laughing

Actually I gotta side with 007 ..... the dude is simply making constructive criticism ..... and in reply y'all are kicking him in the nuts for not saying the Proton is perfect !! Rolling Eyes

Excuses can always be made for imperfection and there will always be people who will happily accept whatever is given without questioning if it could be better ...... Razz

Personally I think criticism is a good thing ..... Idea

Imagine a beautiful woman ..... who has recently put on a lot of weight ..... naturally I would be the first to complain about her losing her figure, because I have the hots for her ! Mr. Green

If an ugly woman decided to become a fat slob ..... I wouldn't give a damn ..... Confused

The moral of the story being - people will criticise the things they love because they want it to be the best it can be ! Shocked

It's disappointing that y'all seem quite happy that LRI is NOT fulfilling the full potential of the Proton ..... especially since the shambles and unbelievable delay of the first launch ..... I want the Pro to be the best light ever made, in the history of humanity ..... which I know it can be ..... Wink

So dudes at LRI, stop being pussies and make a kick ass light even more kick ass !! Very Happy

Improve the Proton Pro by increasing the quality of it's manufacture and giving it 3 beam colours (White + IR + UV) while at the same time reducing the price !! Cool Very Happy

Sweet !! Embarassed


This person truly understands where I am coming from. I simply want the Proton Pro to live up to it's full potential. I would not waste my time with suggestions for improvement if I did not fully believe in this product. I am sorry to have been abrasive in the past. Frustration can sometimes get the best of you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
this_is_nascar



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to suggest that some of you have crossed the line as it relates to rudeness. Do me a favor and keep it out of my thread and start your own. Who says, other than you Perfectionist, that adding UV to the Proton is an improvement? Not me for sure. I could care less about UV. Adding UV to the Proton would increase the price, something you already seem to have an issue with. I think we all want the best Proton possible, but you don't need to be rude about it or to those who think the Pro is pretty close to perfect as-is.
_________________
Race to the Championship
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
007Runner



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this_is_nascar wrote:
I'd like to suggest that some of you have crossed the line as it relates to rudeness. Do me a favor and keep it out of my thread and start your own.


I guess I am confused where the line of rudeness was crossed? Last time I checked suggesting improvements for a product I own and believe in is not rude. It is called constructive criticism.

I did enjoy your review of the Proton Pro. A lot of time and effort was put into it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr.X



Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes constructive criticism is good and I hope 007 continues to do just that. However the old rhetoric about Chinese Slave Labor is getting real old. Ok, we get it, now let's move on. But 007 keeps bringing it up again and again like a cold sore that won't stay away. That is not constructive.

The thing about the space around the red LED not being precisely centered is also ridiculous. This is not constructive because there can be no improvement in the product by adjusting this aspect. Even if you could economically try to make the LED fit in the exact center, there would be absolutely no improvement in the product or it's operation. It is just a waste of time to try or to argue about it.

It is these kinds of things that garner animosity towards you, 007. And because you just won't let go of them. Come on, let's hear some realistic contributions to the cause. I know you can do it, because you have done it.

sorry group
Mr.X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
this_is_nascar



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may, I'd like to see the following improvements to the Pro. Most of these I've commented on already.

-- the ability to ramp up from low on white. I want to start on a low white, then increase brightness.

-- better and longer threads in the tailcap. Each time I go to put that sucker on, I keep my fingers crossed to avoid cross-threading.

-- a milled slot somewhere on the bezel or battery tube where I can glue-in a tritium vial.

-- a re-designed tail-end to allow tailstanding the Pro to achieve the celing-bounce lighting mode.

-- a bit more recess to the switch to better avoid unintended activation. With the 3-minute MOD applied, it's not as critical, however I'd still like to see the switch recessed a bit into the body.
_________________
Race to the Championship
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mr.X



Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good suggestions nascar. I would like to "mod" those as such:

Quote:
-- the ability to ramp up from low on white. I want to start on a low white, then increase brightness.
Along with the ability to select which way a user wants it.
Quote:
-- better and longer threads in the tailcap. Each time I go to put that sucker on, I keep my fingers crossed to avoid cross-threading.
The threads ARE better than in the non-Pro, but I still agree with this.
Quote:
-- a milled slot somewhere on the bezel or battery tube where I can glue-in a tritium vial.
A bit too subjective, but I can see where a user could use that feature.
Quote:
-- a re-designed tail-end to allow tailstanding the Pro to achieve the celing-bounce lighting mode.
Yes.
Quote:
-- a bit more recess to the switch to better avoid unintended activation. With the 3-minute MOD applied, it's not as critical, however I'd still like to see the switch recessed a bit into the body.
Again, a bit subjective. In my case I need a button that actually sticks out further. My hands are big and the present switch configuration is hard enough for me to actuate as it is. Sad

Now this is constructive.

cheers
Mr.X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
007Runner



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.X wrote:

The thing about the space around the red LED not being precisely centered is also ridiculous. This is not constructive because there can be no improvement in the product by adjusting this aspect. Even if you could economically try to make the LED fit in the exact center, there would be absolutely no improvement in the product or it's operation. It is just a waste of time to try or to argue about it.
Mr.X


You just don't get it. Overall fit and finish of a product is always a mark of quality, or the lack of it. People are still not happy with the quality of the tail cap threads. It won't break the bank to cut clean accurate threads. Overall fit and finish is important to insure dimensions are held to make a product work correctly. Things lining up correctly promotes confidence in a product because sloppy machining will harm reliability.
I am not purchasing a disposable flashlight. Having the red LED line up correctly in the cutout of the reflector is a very reasonable expectation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr.X



Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is in there correctly. YOU are the only one who seems to think it isn't. This is what you don't get.

Happy Holidays
Mr.X(tremely tired of this.) Good night 007.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr.X



Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectionist wrote:

It's disappointing that y'all seem quite happy that LRI is NOT fulfilling the full potential of the Proton ..... especially since the shambles and unbelievable delay of the first launch ..... I want the Pro to be the best light ever made, in the history of humanity ..... which I know it can be .....


Ok... lets go with that thought.

Perfection is, in reality, in the eye of the beholder. Let's say it is yours and 007's eyes. You both are in manufacturing/quality control. You both decide that the LED needs more re-centering. Back it goes to the blue prints and we start again. Or, only back as far as you deem necessary to achieve the adjustment. Now the Pro comes through construction again. Now you like it, but 007 says it still needs to be closer, because it is still .002" off center. [Repeat process as often as necessary.]

Question: Where do you draw the line? When do you decide,"That's perfect enough."?

My point:
At best, perfection can still be a judgment call. At some point, construction costs become so high that it is no longer profitable to create the product. So the whole project is scrapped and the customer loses.

Perfectionist... I am wondering IF you have a Proton Pro. Have you actually seen with your own eyes(not a picture) the distance that 007 is talking about, concerning the Red LED centering? Am I the only one here that thinks that spending money and raising the cost of the Pro is worth moving the LED/cutout relationship 1/2 of a millimeter? Well, somebody in the manufacturing line at LRI had to come up with a stopping point. Someone had to draw that line.

Making tolerances too close increases construction costs. In some products, let's say Airline construction, we all want it as tight as possible. But do we need Airline construction guide lines to dictate the manufacturing of a, previously $70, flashlight? How much will it cost then? 007 said he wouldn't mind paying another $10 for that level of perfection. But what if it cost considerably more? Say $50 more, or $100 more? Where do you guys draw the line at perfectionism. How much are you willing to pay, until you say, "That's perfect enough."?

Group??

signed:Out-of-money
Mr.X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
this_is_nascar



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no issues with the positioning of either the RED or WHITE led, or the reflector or the glass lens. I have no issues at all with the front-end of the light, other than my personal suggestion for a more recessed button. To be honest, most of my suggestions are not really to "fix" anything that's perceived as broken, except maybe for the tailcap threading. I wouldn't even consider that broken, since I've not had an issue.

Thoughout the years, I've learned that some folks just get hard-on (sorry, couldn't think of any other way to describe it) for certain products, whereas nothing would be gratifying to them. I've seen the reverse too, whereas people have a cult loyalty and they don't see blatent issues with a product.

I try to call it like it is, regardless of product or loyalty. In the case of the Proton Pro, I think it's an excellent value in the price vs. performance vs. what you get arena.
_________________
Race to the Championship
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mr.X



Joined: 01 May 2004
Posts: 216
Location: Portland, Oregon U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this_is_nascar wrote:
...I've seen the reverse too, whereas people have a cult loyalty and they don't see blatent issues with a product.

I try to call it like it is, regardless of product or loyalty. In the case of the Proton Pro, I think it's an excellent value in the price vs. performance vs. what you get arena.


I have to admit that I do lean towards the "loyalty" side of your comment, but I hope "blatant" wouldn't get past me.

In any event, it is good that there are so many differing viewpoints in the forum. It makes for a discussion which can ferret out problems fairly.(Hopefully) Problems arise when a member won't allow himself at least a small amount of an open mind.

Stubbornness is a fault... Tenacity is a virtue. Wink

Happy Holidays
Mr.X
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
007Runner



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the picture of the reflector area in the nice blowup shot nascar did in his review. My light looks identical to the red Led being off center in the cutout hole. This is not nit picking or being critical. When the naked eye can pick up something in a quick glance as being off center, it has to be bad.

I just feel it needs to be reasonably centered so a quick glance will look centered. This will not add considerable cost. The threads in the tail cap are still sloppy, so I am positive things don't fit as well elsewhere as LRI intended. We just are not aware of them at this time. Overall fit and finish is more important then you seem to understand. If one part is not as it should be, the rest of the unit could be compromised.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
007Runner



Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know the operational temperature limits of the Proton Pro?
I do know first hand the lithium battery works perfectly at -38 Fahrenheit. The manufacturer of the battery says it will work till -40.
Question is what are the limits of the light?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
phpBB SEO

Forum Map
Site Map
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP