http://forum.photonlight.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Quick LRI Proton Pro Review

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum
007Runner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you should care about the alignment of the red LED is for more then just cosmetic reasons. As the reflector turns it is putting pressure on that LED. I don't know how much pressure is being applied, but it is putting pressure on it. This is a future failure just waiting to happen. Perhaps now it will matter to you.

I do not expect the optics part of the light to be assembled in a clean room environment. However common sense should dictate that this particular part of the assembly should be done in a room designated just for this to keep things cleaner. Wiping off part of a fingerprint and smudges, and small threads would be eliminated. I think the Chinese should keep the farm animals out of that particular room.
Mr.X

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crizzly has helped me see your side of the issue more clearly than I had before. I have been harsh with you and I apologize for that. Everyone's opinion is important here and I have neglected to give you the same courtesy as afforded anyone else. This probably won't take, but I know I caused you some grief. I was taught that if you can't say something nice, etc, etc.

Anyway I will stay off of your back and I will get off of my soapbox as well. The forum is no more mine than anyone else's. I have done you a dis-service and I will be more understanding in the future or I will stay out of your threads. I understand if you are reluctant to believe me, at this point.

Sincerely
Mr.X
Crizzly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

007Runner wrote:
The reason you should care about the alignment of the red LED is for more then just cosmetic reasons. As the reflector turns it is putting pressure on that LED. I don't know how much pressure is being applied, but it is putting pressure on it. This is a future failure just waiting to happen. Perhaps now it will matter to you.

No, actually it still won't -- not until *someone* out there actually has a failure from this cause. Frankly, I keep an eye out on what could happen about anything, but as with all practical risk assessment, I must judge "what is most likely to happen", and this really isn't even on the radar... in my mind. Smile

Quote:
I do not expect the optics part of the light to be assembled in a clean room environment. However common sense should dictate that this particular part of the assembly should be done in a room designated just for this to keep things cleaner. Wiping off part of a fingerprint and smudges, and small threads would be eliminated. I think the Chinese should keep the farm animals out of that particular room.

I can see you think the assembly plant is particularly messy, yet your level of opinion is kinda funny -- if that's really what you believe and not just being over dramatic... Smile Yes, fingerprints should be avoided, but I've had to return more than one set of proof coins to the US Mint due to folks getting slimy glove prints thru the multi-checkpoints to catch exactly that. Using your logic, the fact that I've seen less fingerprints (this year, for example) on LRI's lights [as in zero] vs the US Mint [three times] would lead me to believe that anything made in the US sucks, and clearly all americans are very, very overpaid and incapable. Of course, that'd be right, but still, you can likely see the oddness of this leap in logic.....or not.

I still agree about every single aluminum threading I've seen from any product, and therefore, in my mind, *noone* can [or chooses to] make clean aluminum threading, not just some particular country/employee/manufacturer/facility/... Clearly it is possible to clean up the threading, as you have managed, but why then does noone on the planet [from what I've seen] do it in their manufacturing process? I suspect it falls down to the usual business 'cost benefit' crap... *shrug* I can easily 'get over' this and clean it myself, but then, that's my choosing so I can live a happier life and be more concerned with stuff that is a little more tangibility/likelihood [this falls back to my being homeless as a kid without enough money to eat... I "know what matters (to me) in life" and am happy I now own my own house and have no debts other than the mortgage. I also am really good at improving my enjoyment of what I have, in that self-sufficient sort of way - like cleaning threading I think can be improved by my skills...].

So, yeah... we all have differing levels of opinion/satisfaction level/expectations/... Clearly this divergence is huge on this topic, but once again, that's just fine. Smile Thanks for clarifying your original request, and I'm glad we could finally give you some help with it! Cheers! Happy new year!
007Runner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight. Even though pressure is being placed on the LED by the reflector turning you think nothing should be done until a failure occurs?

This type of thinking is exactly why the American car companies are dying, and will be history soon enough.

LRI should thank me for noticing this. I am positive if they were aware of this before hand, they never would have allowed this to occur. This is not an opinion just simple common sense.
Crizzly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

007Runner wrote:
So let me get this straight. Even though pressure is being placed on the LED by the reflector turning you think nothing should be done until a failure occurs?
Actually, what I was saying is that I didn't think there was enough pressure on the bulb to warrant any time worrying about it. If someday someone actually gets a failure from this, I will believe it was a concern, but I so highly doubt the possibility that I won't be bothered to fret about such a unlikely thing. Of course, what helps my confidence level is the warranty service they offer, and that if this somehow actually did someday become an issue, that they'd replace/repair the unit at any time.

Quote:
This type of thinking is exactly why the American car companies are dying, and will be history soon enough.
If this was of some severity level that could cause human death/severe injury due to failure (like an auto's wheel falling off), then yeah, I'd agree the criticality was higher... But this would be more tantamount to a car's interior light burning out - an inconvenience and readily fixed.

Quote:
LRI should thank me for noticing this. I am positive if they were aware of this before hand, they never would have allowed this to occur. This is not an opinion just simple common sense.
Of course, as I've mentioned since you joined the board, if you actually wanted to discuss *anything* with LRI, you should do so via their website's "contact us" methods....after all, noone on this forum works for them. Smile

Cheers and happy new year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5