http://forum.photonlight.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Quick LRI Proton Pro Review

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum
this_is_nascar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: My Quick LRI Proton Pro Review Reply with quote

David-Bryan-Team LRI, you folks got it right. Oh my god, what a fantastic light. Here's the review I posted on CPF.

This may be the 1xAA LED light I've been waiting for. The exterior of the Pro looks like the normal Proton, except its a bit taller due to the reflector in the bezel. The lobster-claw attachment that comes with the normal Proton is no longer part of the Pro package. The Pro comes with just a small split-ring, already installed. I've done no runtime testing on the Pro as of this time. The single Cree LED is centered in the reflector, with a small cutout to let the RED light come out the front. The RED LED is actually buried underneath, behind the reflector. It makes for non-true circle beam of the RED light, however its only noticeable if you're looking for it and it has not effect on using the light.

To me, this light is fantastic. I've always loved the UI (wouldn't mind a couple tweaks specific to my needs) of the LRI product line. The beam is looks like your typical Cree-based emitter, however, there's something about this little power-house that just makes it seem different. While this light is definitely more of a thrower than the flood-type light produced by the standard Proton, the Pro's beam is extremely useful. While being a great thrower, you don't lose as much spill/flood as you'd expect.

Not only is the Proton Pro a keeper for me, it's going to be a light to replace quite a few other lights. For those wanting a very useful, small, powerful light in a 1xAA form-factor, take a look at the new LRI Proton Pro.

Edit #1: Here's runtime information from one of my two units.

Edit #2: Here's a beamshot, comparing a 6xNichia Proton to the new 1xCree Proton Pro. Each picture was done in auto-exposure, in a partially lit room, with both lights on high. The lights were positioned about 4-feet from the off-white wall. The 1st shot, the picture was taken from a foot behind the lights. The 2nd photo was taken from three feet behind the lights. Each photo appears a bit more-blue than what my eyes really see. Like I said, I had the camera in auto-mode, with no flash.

I'll let you guys figure out which one is which. As you can see, while we say the Pro has more throw, you can not really say that it's lacking in flood or spill light. It's extremely useful.

Edit #3: I always like to do runtime of multiple units, to see the differences between them. I'm not about to measure all (5) of my Proton Pro's, but here's the comparision between (2) of the units. As will all advanced lights such as the Pro, the LED as well as the circuit allows for differences in runtime/brightness. In addition, whose to say that power is consistant amongst batteries also.

Edit #4: As requested, here's an updated runtime chart that shows the comparative differences between a REV1 Proton with the new Proton Pro.

Edit #5: There are not the best shots I've ever taken, but this somewhat shows what's inside the bezel. Be warned, if you unscrew the bezel ring, it's a PITA to get back on. There's a O-Ring on the non-ring part that you must clear, by 1st pushing the bezel ring back on, then screwing.

Last edited by this_is_nascar on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
LowBat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review TIN. Now you got me curious how the beam looks and how it compares with other flashlights.
this_is_nascar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added runtime data to my 1st post.
Mr.X

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great chart, nascar! Would it be possible for you to add a comparative run using a Nickel Metal Hydride cell? 2500, 2700 MaH? That would be informative as well.

(nascar mentioned this above and I couldn't agree more.)
One of the features I value, is that by using the Cree chip and this reflector, the Pro has achieved an excellent combination of both "Throw" and "Flood" flashlights. The best of both worlds, IMHO.

Also, I love that the beam is so completely smooth, that whatever you are illuminating is not distorted by beam aberrations, as many flashlights exhibit. (Example: Maglight)

An adjustable focus would be of no real need, in the Proton Pro.

cheers
Mr.X
this_is_nascar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. X. I never use rechargable cells, so doing a runtime for those will probably not happen. Let me look around and see if I even have any. I should have some Sanyo 2100's lying around maybe.
this_is_nascar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated Post #1 with a couple of beamshots.
this_is_nascar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post #1 has been updated with additional information.
LowBat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed the beam is artifact free considering there is a cutout in the reflector for the red LED. I wonder how LRI accomplished this. Is that a GITD ring I see by the reflector? If so, any chance we could see a pic of the GITD ring in the dark; and while you're at it, a pic showing the red LED beamshot too? Thanx
this_is_nascar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LowBat wrote:
I'm amazed the beam is artifact free considering there is a cutout in the reflector for the red LED. I wonder how LRI accomplished this. Is that a GITD ring I see by the reflector? If so, any chance we could see a pic of the GITD ring in the dark; and while you're at it, a pic showing the red LED beamshot too? Thanx

Yes, it's a glow in the dark o-ring. There really isn't much to see. It's not different than any other light that has this o-ring installed. I'm not sure if I'll get around to doing anymore beam shots. I'm not really setup to do them. The only reason I did the ones of the white Cree on high was that there were so many questons about it on CPF.
Mr.X

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Nice pics, nascar! Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra charts and pictures. I am one of those that really likes to see the inner workings of my gadgets. But with carpal tunnel in both hands, I usually end up causing more damage to tiny things (opened up) than it is worth to see. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

It looks like (maybe) L.R.I. was planning to install two red LEDs at one time.

Another thought... If you mount one (or more) of these on your bike, you just might find automobile drivers, flicking their high beams at you. Shocked
LowBat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice pics, nascar! Reply with quote

Mr.X wrote:
It looks like (maybe) L.R.I. was planning to install two red LEDs at one time.
Two red LEDs were how it was setup on the original Proton prototype. I'm guessing it's the same circuit board.

http://www.equipped.com/pp/pic10113.htm

http://www.equipped.com/pp/pic10068.htm
Perfectionist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have one Red (IR) and one Blue (UV) ?? !! Smile
this_is_nascar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that would requiring tweaking to the interface to handle more than (2) light sources.
Mr.X

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: A true statement. Reply with quote

That's correct. Beside the fact that there are already lights to serve that purpose.

Bright white and a night vision solution are the most practical choices, short of doubling the electronics. Wink

cheers
Mr.X
LowBat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this_is_nascar wrote:
I'd imagine that would requiring tweaking to the interface to handle more than (2) light sources.
You could put a variety of 3mm LEDs on a rotating ring. Then you could simply dial whatever one you wanted into position behind the hole in the reflector. It would probably double the cost to produce such a model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5