http://forum.photonlight.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoke cutting light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum
S. Minakami

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 1999 3:04 pm    Post subject: Smoke cutting light Reply with quote

I'm a firefighter and looking for a back-up light to carry and think the Photon would be a great light to carry. Can anyone recommend a color light that would cut through a smoke filled enviroment the best. Or what color light would (you) recommend? Thanks

John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 1999 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoke cutting light Reply with quote

Sorry, I can not make a recommendation as to one that would cut through smoke.

In my experience with the Photon lights, I do not think that it would be quite what you are looking for. These lights are the size of a quarter and while they do produce a lot of light for their size, they are still a small light. The closest popular light that I can compare them to is a mini-mag-light-solitare. The solitare is the little one that uses one AAA battery. My white and yellow Photon II lights produce a comparable amount of usable light to it.
I carry one on my keyring and one on a "dog-tag" chain around my neck.

They are great little lights, but the key word here is little. as a back-up light inside a smoke filled environment, I think you would be better off with a bigger light such as the Pelican or UKE (Underwater Kinetics) dive lights that use a 2 or more AA cells. My dad is a full time FF and I am a Police Officer so we take our lights seriously. His back up is a UKE 4AA cell small and light but still bright enough. Photons are at their best in my experience as the light you have when you wouldnt normally be carrying one at all.

Just my opinion/experience good luck

Shannon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 1999 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Smoke cutting light Reply with quote

> I'm a firefighter and looking for a back-up light to carry and
> think the Photon would be a great light to carry. Can anyone recommend
> a color light that would cut through a smoke filled enviroment the
> best. Or what color light would (you) recommend? Thanks

I agree with John, these are wonderful little lights that come in very handy, but you would probably for your usage need somethign like one of the SureFire flshlights that throw a tremendous amout of bright light.

Walt Welch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 1999 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoke cutting light Reply with quote

>

> I agree with John, these are wonderful little lights that come
> in very handy, but you would probably for your usage need somethign
> like one of the SureFire flshlights that throw a tremendous amout
> of bright light.

I agree that the Photon is somewhat underpowered for use such as you describe. However, I can offer a color choice for you; go with the longer wavelengths, i.e. yellow, orange, or red. Scattering of light by particular matter, whether smoke or water (fog) is worse with the shorter wavelengths, green, blue, turquoise. The longer wavelengths scatter less. That is why fog lights are yellow. Also that is why sunsets are reddish (the blue wavelengths scatter and never make it to your eye). In the really old days of racing ('50's), a common emergency expedient if caught in the fog without fog lights was to place newspaper over the headlights, this gave a more yellow light, and scattered less (I am NOT making this up).

Of the types of flashlights with which I am familiar, I would suggest a mini MagLite, two AA cell. An accessory pack is available with these, which has yellow and red lenses, as I recall. The full size MagLite can also be equipped with a red lens, however, this is rather large to consider as a 'back up.'

With the above information noted, I would still recommend you carry a few Photons on you at all times. They are an invaluable source of light, and they are better than no light at all. A lot better. Walt Welch

Barry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 1999 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Smoke cutting light Reply with quote

The Photon Micro-Light is great, but it may not be exactly what you need for the application you indicate.

I would suggest a Streamlight Syclone (Professional Model). Their "Black Dot" bulbs are specifically designed to cut through smoke, fog and mist. They are available in a 4 AA alkaline battery or rechargeable model.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Photon Discussion Board Forum Index -> General Photon Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1